David Giersdorf knows how to navigate disruption. His decades of C-suite experience in the travel industry have helped him identify six protocols for “navigating your company, career, and life through the fog of disruption.” In Part 1 of this two-part podcast, Managing Editor Brian Gorman explores with David each of these protocols and what it means to today’s organizations, change leaders, and change practitioners.
Tune in and get David Giersdorf’s answer to questions such as:
- What were the early days of the Covid-19 pandemic like for the cruise industry?
- In Hard Ships, you bring decades of experience navigating both smooth waters and turbulence. Out of that experience, you identify six protocols that are applicable across industries, organizations, careers, and in our personal lives. Could you briefly describe each of those protocols?
- Know Your Waypoint: Where are you? What is the truth?
- Stay Afloat: What is critical for you to protect?
- What is Your First First? What is the one thing that if you do it wrong, or don’t do it, dramatically impacts your ability to recover?
- Get Flexible: Embrace what has changed; this is the key to your future.
- Become Collision Proof: You need to be a student of disruption. Learn the lessons and integrate them into your way of operating. Have an eye open for new and upcoming risks.
- Protect Your Value: In the midst of the chaos it is much to easy to undermine your future self.
About David Giersdorf:
David Giersdorf is an innovative entrepreneur with extensive C-suite experience as a former senior executive in the global cruise, travel and marketing services industry, including directing a $1B+ Brand Portfolio and serving as CEO of several iconic cruise, travel and marketing services companies. He is the Founder of Global Voyages Group which helps owners, boards, CEOs and leadership teams of diverse companies and organizations on topics ranging from Navigating Disruption and Recovery, Growth, Innovation, Performance, and Mergers & Acquisitions. He greatly enjoys helping companies and their teams envision the opportunities and challenges of the near and further future, innovate continuously, and create sustainable value for all stakeholders. David is also the author of Hard Ships: Navigating Your Company, Career, and Life through the Fog of Disruption, which details his four decades of experience navigating major disruptions to achieve innovation and growth. In this podcast, David introduces his protocols of navigating disruption; in Part 2, he and Brian explore some of these protocols in more detail.