In this episode of the Change Management Review™ Podcast, Brian Gorman interviews Mark Ruth. Since joining the International Coach Federation (ICF) more than a decade ago, Mark has been committed to developing and expanding the ICF’s presence as an industry thought leader. His department has unveiled more than a dozen global industry studies on the coaching industry since 2006. Prior to joining ICF, Mark served as Market Research Analyst for the National Tour Association, where he managed an economic impact study of the North American group travel industry.
In this fast-paced interview, Mark reveals the impact of a study that looked at coaching within the context of change management, the differences between high-performing organizations and others relative to change management, the relationship between a coaching culture and a high-performing culture, and much more.
- Before we start to discuss your research on coaching and change management, would you tell us a little bit about ICF, the International Coach Federation?
- In 2018, the International Coach Federation and the Human Capital Institute undertook a study that looked at coaching within the context of change management. Could you tell us where the idea for this research came from?
- How was the research conducted?
- As both a change practitioner and a coach, one of the first things that stood out for me in the research report were the differences between high performing organizations and others relative to change management. What would you say were your most important findings on this?
- You looked at the role that various learning and development activities played in change management. What did your research find regarding training vs. coaching?
- You have actually coaching cultures in organizations for several years. How do you define a coaching culture?
- What is the relationship between having a strong coaching culture and being a high performing organization?
- What other important findings about coaching and change management should our listeners be aware of?
Access ICF-HCI Building a Coaching Culture industry research (2014-present): https://coachfederation.org/coachingculture
Visit the International Coach Federation for resources to help build coaching capabilities: https://coachfederation.org/
ICF Communities of Practice (CPs):
- Executive and Leadership Coaching
- Internal Coaching
- Team and Work Group Coaching
- Coaching and Human Capital
- Government Coaching